This page intends to feature a rotating list of current and upcoming events in our Bemidji area community relating to sustainability. If you are looking for information on past Sustainable Tuesday events, head over to our Poster Archive.
Sustainable Tuesdays are held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Rail River Folk School, located at 303 Railroad St. SW in Bemidji. They are open free to the public unless otherwise noted.
July’s theme is Building Green Communities!
Tuesday, July 2nd: “Regaining Food Sovereignty” Local Documentary
- Join us in celebrating the airing of the new local documentary, Regaining Food Sovereignty, and visit with guest speakers featured in the production as we explore issues regarding tradition and culture around food.
Tuesday, July 9th: Birdhouse Building Workshop
- Let’s get building! Come learn how to build different birdhouses with Rocky Carpenter. Learn the basics of woodworking while helping create a habitat for our region’s local birds! No experience with tools necessary – come learn the basic skills! If you’d like to go home with a birdhouse, please email Caitlyn at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 7th and bring $10 to cover material costs.
Tuesday, July 16th : Make-and-Take Rain Barrel Workshop
- Capture the power of rain! Join us for a hands-on workshop with Andreas Nordrum and learn how to build a rain barrel for your garden or yard. If you’d like to take a barrel home, please bring $30 to cover the cost of materials and email Caitlyn at email@example.com by July 12th to reserve a barrel.
Tuesday, July 23rd: Permaculture and Community Resilience
- Join permaculturists Diana Kuklinski and Megan Arndt in a discussion about resilience—what it means, why it’s important, and how to assess individual and community resilience. Learn practical planning and practices to increase our resilience for future food, water, energy, and other uncertainties. You will leave with resources and a better understanding of how to take steps to increase your own resilience and the opportunity to participate in a continued community dialogue.
Tuesday, July 30th: Northwest Community Garden Workshop (3pm to 7pm)
- This free workshop is hosted by the University of Minnesota Extension and focuses on the community building and organizational skills that make community or school gardens a success. Join us for a fun, hands-on, interactive workshop. Network with other gardeners and community-oriented people as we come together for an afternoon all about growing community! Please note the special time: 3pm to 7pm. Pre-registration is encouraged; pre-register at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Reg_Comm_Gardens.
For more information, contact Caitlyn Schuchhardt at 755-3765 or Simone Senogles at 751-4967.
Sustainable Tuesdays are a partnership between Bemidji State’s Sustainability Office, the Indigenous Environmental Network, Minnesota GreenCorps and the Rail River Folk School. The Sustainable Tuesdays presentations aim to draw upon the strengths of the region’s diversity to create a sustainable Bemidji.
City of Bemidji’s Sustainability Committee Meeting
Next meeting: July 10th, 2013, 6:30 pm at City Hall. **Please note that we are meeting a week later than usual because of the holiday.
For more information, visit the City of Bemidji’s Sustainability Committee facebook page or call Caitlyn Schuchhardt at 218-755-3765 or firstname.lastname@example.org.